Tuesday, June 03, 2008

This just in from Ross Anderson:

[There is a very interesting film clip of a volleyball game with the Disney animators versus the Producers on The Blackwing Diaries. John Musker is commentating and Tim Burton, Chris Buck, Darrell van Citters, Randy Cartwright are playing.

It reminded me of a film that Tim Burton filmed at that time called, "Luau". It is like a perverse Annette Funicello/Frankie Avalon beach movie. Mike Gabriel, Joe Ranft, John Musker and many of that gang were in it, but copies are notoriously rare. I have only ever seen a couple of stills in books on Tim Burton. I would really appreciate it if you could put out the call for anybody who is willing to share the film, Luau, with others.]

Could anyone help?

2 comments:

Jenny Lerew said...

Didier, you must never read my blog any longer-I posted the video first, and Amid simply "borrowed" it-he credits me at the bottom(anyone can post a video once it's on youtube, of course!)! Just goes to show how much popularity counts! Barely anyone noticed it on my blog. The crumbs of internet fame!

Randy Cartwright(who has been storyboarding on "Princess and the Frog")shot the game in super 8, posted it up and is very gracious about sharing such things. I coincidentally asked him about "Luau" the other day, and he said that as far as he knows there's a single print that one person(not he)has. Maybe one day it'll come to light-we can hope! I've seen clips but not the entire thing. I think Randy said it was 30 minutes long...sounds like a really fun film. Those guys had a ball in those days, that's for sure.

Didier Ghez said...

My apologies Jenny. I have now corrected the entry. I still check your blog every day, of course. Unfortunately that post appeared when I was on a trip and I posted this entry yesterday in a total hurry.

Please email me about Freddy Moore. If you are still interested in working on a book about him, I might have an idea of an unconventional publisher. Try and email me before June 20, though as I will be meeting the "publisher" then.